Initial development plans
- keeping the outdoor 50m pool (and upgrading the current filtration plant and changing room facilities) as well as
- building a new indoor 25m pool and
- an indoor learner’s pool.
Revision of scope
Previous project updates
Council decision: June 2017
Public consultation: May 2017
Waipa residents and ratepayers were formally asked to have their say on revised plans for the Cambridge pool. Consultation closed on 1 June 2017.
Council decision: April 2017
Following community feedback and massive growth projections for the area, Council confirmed it would formally consider a $16.5 million project instead of the $9.9 million pool redevelopment approved in its 10-Year Plan.
Councillor workshop: December 2016
Stakeholder meeting: November 2016
- Indoor spectator seating requirement- Request for seating for spectators but no determination of what level of capacity required e.g. regular casual use or event mode.
- Deeper water requirement of 25m pool - Water polo and Underwater Hockey perceive their sports suffer through lack of access to an appropriate depth for their sports (min 1.8m).
- Standalone hydrotherapy pool- Based on the immediate need for access for older adults to therapy and rehabilitation and the longer term increase in this age group.
- Facility room- for aquatic sport event delivery must be multi-purpose community/meeting space.
Links to media releases