Waipa is already home to a number of key cycling and walking trails and we have exciting plans to build more throughout the district.
- Cycling is business: Our trails and cycling events brings in business and tourism opportunities.
- Cycling helps tell our story: By connecting our towns and significant sites we can share and promote our rich history.
- Cycling connects communities: It’s affordable, keeps us healthy and is an activity that friends and families can do together.
- Cycling creates social fabric: It allows all kinds of people to participate and share a journey.
Waipa already has a number of key cycling and walking trails. In our last 10-Year Plan in 2015, the community indicated it strongly supported further investment in cycleways and walkways, including partnering with organisations like the Te Awa River Ride Trust.
In May 2016, Council adopted a strategic framework to guide ongoing investment which, in the 2016/17 financial year, will be focused on the western side of the district.
Waipa District Cycle Network Strategic Framework
Progress so far
Key milestones to come
- Investigations into a potential Te Awamutu to Pirongia trail
- Construction of a Te Awamutu to Pirongia trail
- Investigations into connecting Te Awamutu to Lake Ngāroto
This is an ongoing project which will develop over time.
$1.2 million for the 2016/17 year with further funding to be reviewed annually.
Links to media releases