1. Norfolk Drive extension
Later this year Norfolk Drive will extend to Victoria Road and become a main travel route from Cambridge North to Victoria Road and the expressway. A start date hasn’t been set for this project yet – but work has started on Victoria Road at the point where the two roads will meet.
- Constructing the junction where Norfolk Road will meet Victoria Road.
- Getting ready for Waipa’s first Council traffic lights to be installed at the junction.
2. Upper Swayne road
Work is underway at Upper Swayne Road (from Tulip Drive to the Waikato Expressway).
- Adding kerb and footpath to the currently rural road.
- Starting to construct a new road junction that will lead into a future housing development.
- Extending water and wastewater services to this new area.
- Building a swale (open water channel) along the expressway boundary (towards Watkins Road) to convey storm water.
|UNDERWAY, COMPLETION NOVEMBER 2017|
3. Bowen and Taylor street
Work will be done to make this road safer and to slow traffic down. This is particularly important around the high school that is located on this road. A proposed plan has been sent to affected residents.
Work may include:
- Installing a roundabout at the intersection of Bowen Street and Taylor Street.
- Improving pedestrian access from Taylor Street to Cambridge High School.
- Applying parking and no-parking zones around Cambridge High School.
- Reducing traffic congestion and improving traffic flow at school drop-off points.
4. Wastewater improvements
Installation of a larger wastewater pipe from Watkins Road through to Taylor Street.
5. NIWA enhanced pond stystem
In 2013, NIWA (the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research) approached us and asked if it could construct a demonstration natural pond system at the Cambridge wastewater treatment plant.
The system uses algae as part of a natural pond system to treat the sewage.
A trial section involving 30 per cent of the waste was constructed in 2014.
NIWA are testing the system, if it is successful it has the potential to be used when upgrading the treatment plant and could result in bif savings.
6. St Kilda road
We're upgrading St Kilda Road and extending the footpath / cycleway to Thornton Road and completing the connection to the Cambridge High School and green belt.
7. Hamilton road / Victoria street
- Building a roundabout.
- Improving existing pedestrian safety and links to existing pathways.
- Improved parking along Victoria Street.
- Centre island on Victoria Street.
8. Victoria road / Williams street
We're installing two pedestrian crossings across both sides of Victoria Street, one side will be controlled by traffic lights, the other will be a raised crossing.
9. Cambridge road
We're removing passing lanes and adding cycle lanes on both sides of the road between Peake Road and the green belt.
Cambridge Road has also been selected as a demonstration site for the Waikato Speed Management Project and from 21 March we're seeking feedback on wthe safety of Cambridge and other Waipa roads.
It's a possibility we could reduce the 100km speed section on Cambridge Road to 70km.
We're looking at possible intersection improvements at St Peters School and the Avantidrome. At this stage we're talking to other stakeholders, no commitment has been made yet.
|CONSTRUCTION STARTING 2017|
Three hectares of bare land overlooking Lake Te Koo Utu is being developed into residential apartments, retail spaces, a medical centre, office spaces, cafes and restaurants. The area will connect with the CBD and Whittaker Street.
12. Whittaker Street
We're widening the slip lane behind the BP and the Pink Church to two lanes to service Lakewood.
13. Cambridge pool
Were continuing to fundraise towards a new indoor swimming pool.
|14. Cambridge park |
The final stage of development is underway with 260 of the 300 sections sold. A cafe and further compact housing is also planned.
15. St Kilda
Stage 4 of 5 is now complete and a further 160 of the 266 sections have sold. Progress is underway for the new cafe, childcare and medical centre.
16. Te Awa lifecare village
This new retirement village on Cambridge Road will be built in six stages over 10 years. It includes, 120 care beds, 131 villas, 170 apartments and a childcare centre.
There's a new Z Service Station being built at the Victoria Road Interchange. We're also planning for the future industrial growth and development of Hautapu.
18. Karāpiro water treatment plant and rising main
We're increasing the water treatment capacity.
19. Canoe racing NZ and Cambridge yacht club
Lake Karāpiro will soon be home to the new Canoe racing NZ high performance centre and Cambridge Yacht Club at the Mighty River Domain.
|20. Cambridge sewer pipe bridge |
We're installing larger pipes and strengthening the bridge.
21. Wetlands boardwalk
We're replacing the wetlands boardwalk in Leamington between Rowling Place, Shelley Street and Noel Street. We're making the boardwalk wider and removing all steps so it's cycle friendly. We're also connecting it ot the rest of the Leamington green belt cycleway.
22. St Andrews retirement village
A private developer is building a three storey building which includes a combined age care facility and an independent retirement village.