Celebrating the little things
It can be the little things that make a huge difference. It might be your co-worker who always brings home baking to share. It could be the neighbour who brings in your recycling bin when they're grabbing their own. Maybe you know someone who goes out of their way just to put a smile on your face.
Unsung heroes tend to just get on with it, don't they? So we're running a giveaway to help you say "thanks!" to those people in our community who you think of as a Home Grown Champ.
The winner receives a $100 cafe/restaurant voucher so they can treat themselves to a yummy meal!
Our Home Grown Champ winners
Joan Cole, Leamington
Nominated by Emma Beech, March 2017
“I know of an incredible home grown champ. Joan Cole of Leamington. I come to her place once a week to give her a hand with cleaning her house. She's 88 (I think) years old, and if I'm anything like her when I'm her age I'll be happy. Every week she has a tea and a sandwich ready for me before work, as she says you can never work on an empty stomach.
Joan works as a volunteer at jumble around, and of the women of the RSA. She smiles and says hi to almost everyone that passes by her house, and the guy who comes to collect her green bin, gets a cold drink and a piece of fruit to help him through his day. She waters her neighbours plants while they are away, and if your tomato plants are flipping down she will stand them back up. She likes to keep herself busy as she believes this helps keep her feeling young so Joan crochets blankets for Starship Hospital. Joan also makes woollen tv socks for men, women and children so their feet stay warm.
She never asks or expects anything in return and I would love for her to be recognised in her community, I'm also sure there would be many people that could add to how kind and generous she is. She just believes it's easy to be kind, it never takes much.”
Joan was very touched to be nominated, and spoke warmly of being set a wonderful example by her family as she grew up. She only had one issue - she said "88 years old? I'm 89! I'll be 90 this year!"
Terms & Conditions
- The promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
- By entering the promotion, you agree to these terms and conditions.
- Any decisions made by Waipa District Council in regard to any part of the promotion are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Waipa District Council reserves the right to amend, change or cancel the promotion and/or the terms and conditions of the promotion at any time.
- Only Waipa residents are eligible to enter.
- Entries must be made within the timeframe specified in each post to be eligible.
- Previous winners will not be eligible to enter.
- The winner will be notified by Waipa District Council via Facebook or through other contact details submitted when entering the promotion. Where attempts to contact the winner fail, Waipa District Council reserve the right to select another winner.
- Waipa District Council reserves the right to offer alternative prizes of equal or lesser value in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
- All prizes are non-transferable, non-refundable and cannot be exchanged for any cash alternatives, in whole or in part.
- By accepting the award, each winner acknowledges that their name and photograph may be used by Waipa District Council for publicity purposes.