Restricted fire season in place
Regardless of whether you require a permit, any person lighting a fire or allowing a fire to remain alight has an obligation to ensure it does not cause nuisance or damage.
Fire areas in Waipa
Urban fire areas
Permanently restricted rural fire areas
There are two other areas that are permanently restricted to a permit for fires in the open air all year round. These are the Moanatuatua Swamp area in the Mill Rd, Kite Rd and Wallace Rd and Maratoto Lake at the end of Douch Rd, Ohaupo. These areas are marked by permanent signage advising the requirement for Fire permits. This restriction is implemented under the Forest and Rural Fires Act 1977.
Fire safety tips
Here are some tips for keeping a safer fire:
- Supervise fires at all times.
- Don't annoy your neighbours with smoke nuisance.
- Do not light in windy conditions
- Fire must not be left to burn where there is a chance of spread.
- Water and/or other equipment should be kept handy if available.
- The fire should be completely extinguished on completion of the burn.