​​How do I enrol?

​You must be enrolled to vote by Friday 16 August 2019 to get your voting papers delivered in the mail.

If you are not enrolled to vote before 16 August there is still time:

​​What if i'm not enrolled?

If you are not on the Final Election Roll, you can still vote but will have to register for a special vote.
A special vote can also be made if you are on the unpublished roll, you haven’t received voting papers after Wednesday 25 September, you will be away during the voting period or you have spoiled or damaged your voting papers.

To register for a special vote, phone Council on 0800 924 723 or pop into a Council office.

Are you a residential elector, a non-resident ratepayer elector, or both?

You are automatically enrolled to vote in the area you live in if you are registered on the electoral roll. In local elections this is known as a residential elector. To enrol, check or update your details, go to www.elections.org.nz or call 0800 36 76 56.

To qualify as a non-resident ratepayer elector for a council district you must be a ratepayer in that district. If you live in the district you also pay rates in, you will qualify as a residential elector. You must be a ratepayer for an address that is outside the council district in which you live.

You may pay rates on a residential property, such as a holiday home or a rental property in another district, in which case you may qualify as a non-resident ratepayer elector. Or, you may pay rates in respect of a property owned by your firm, company, trust, corporation or society. If so, the organisation may nominate any member or officer of the firm, company, trust, corporation or society as the ratepayer elector as long as that person is registered as a Parliamentary elector at an address outside that council district.

If you have not received your form and are a ratepayer elector you can fill in and submit the ​Enrolment Form.pdf

If you have any questions or would like more information, contact the Electoral Officer at your local council.​

Key contact​​s

Electoral Officer

Warwick Lampp
3/3 Pukaki Road
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand
021 498 517

Deputy Electoral Officer

Jo Gread
07 872 0080

Page reviewed: 01 Jul 2019 2:26pm