Water Supply Bylaw
We are reviewing our current Water Supply Bylaw 2013 under section 159 of the Local Government Act 2002 (LGA).
The bylaw is due for its 10-yearly review under sections 158 and 159 of the Act, so the Council review should be completed by 1 October 2023.
Public consultation on a replacement Water Supply Bylaw took place from 13 May to 13 June 2022.
Purpose of the replacement bylaw
The purpose of the replacement bylaw is to:
a) protect, promote and maintain public health and safety;
b) manage the land, structures, or infrastructure associated with the Water Supply System;
c) protect from damage, misuse, or loss, and to prevent the unauthorised use of, the land, structures, or infrastructure associated with the Water Supply System.
Reasons for the proposal:
The reasons for the proposal are to:
- Comply with the LGA requirement that the bylaw be reviewed within 10 years;
- Update the bylaw to ensure it deals with issues related to managing and protecting the water supply system more effectively;
- Update parts of the bylaw to reflect district-wide changes to the water supply system and national changes to legislation that have occurred since 2013;
- Simplify and streamline the bylaw to improve clarity and readability for Council and the public, including reformatting to bring it in line with new Council standards; and
- Futureproof the bylaw for anticipated changes in both the regulatory environment and in the growth of the Waipā District.
We have been working through the review process in line with the requirements of the LGA.
The Statement of Proposal can be found here.
The Draft Waipā District Water Supply Bylaw can be seen here.
A printable submission form is available here.