Speed changes up for discussion
27 July 2016
Waipa people have largely backed a proposal from Waipa District Council to slow down traffic in parts of the district.
The Council wants to lower speeds around Cambridge on St Kilda Road, Cambridge Road, Maungatautari Road, Hydro Road, Tirau Road, Achilles Avenue, Shakespeare Street and Fencourt Road outside Goodwood School.
It also wants drivers to slow down in the Te Awamutu town centre, Pokuru Road outside Pokuru School and Paterangi Road outside Paterangi School.
The proposals to reduce the speed limits are backed by the Waikato Regional Council, Waikato District Health Board and Waikato Regional Transport Committee speed management project. The speed management project aims to have a consistent approach to how speed is managed on Waikato roads.
Council put the proposals to the community in April and May and received 125 submissions. Nearly 80 per cent favoured lowering the speed limits. The remaining 20 per cent said they either preferred speed limits to reduce further on certain routes or they wanted the existing speed limits to remain.
Council's general manager service delivery Barry Bergin said the Te Awamutu CBD and speed limits outside schools generated the most community interest.
"Lowering the speed limit outside these schools is something many people have wanted for a while and we support it. Te Awamutu's CBD has also been an ongoing discussion to balance the various needs of users, and encourage a safer, more welcoming centre. Part of our job is to help make our community safe for people of all ages to walk, cycle and drive."
Twelve people from the community who made submissions on the issue will speak at a formal hearing at the Te Awamutu Council Office from 1pm on August 2. A copy of the report, including copies of all submissions, can be downloaded from Council's website.
Find out more about the Waikato speed management project.
For more information, contact: Nicole Nooyen 07 872 0097 or 027 807 3478