Official information requests
We are committed to promoting openness and transparency in everything we do. Most of the information you seek is readily available from this website - check to see if the answer to your question is available here. If not, just ask our staff and, if possible, they will help you obtain this information.
Please contact us if you need assistance with your request for information..
Official information requests are governed by the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 (LGOIMA). Under this Act, everything we do is public information and our books have to be open and freely available.
If you are not happy with the information provided under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act, you can complain to the Office of the Ombudsman.
Who can make a request?
Any person may make a request for official information held by Waipa Council under LGOIMA - section 10(1).
How do I make a request?
- use our online form: Official Information Request form
- phone our Customer Service Centre: 0800 924 723
- ask in person at our Customer Service Centre: 23 Wilson Street, Cambridge or 101 Bank Street, Te Awamutu.
- post your request to: Private Bag 2402, Te Awamutu 3840
- email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- send us a Facebook message: www.facebook.com/WaipaDistrictCouncil.
How long will it take to process my request?
We will acknowledge your request as soon as practical after receiving it. We are required by the LGOIMA legislation to respond to your request within 20 working days.
Legal timeframes for responding to requests for official information are:
- Transfer of request (e.g. to another agency) - promptly and no later than 10 working days after the request is received (requester must be informed of the transfer);
- Decision to be made and communicated to the requester as soon as reasonably practicable and no later than 20 working days after the request is received; and
- Release any official information it has decided to release without undue delay.
If a request is made verbally, then later confirmed in writing, the working days counted are from the date of the verbal request.
With holding information
We may withhold information for specific reasons. If we do, we will explain the reason why.
What will it cost?
Under Ministry of Justice, Charging Guidelines for Official Information Act 1982 Requests' it is Council's policy to charge as follows:
- The first hour of time is free
- Twenty pages of free photocopying
- We can recover any other actual costs (e.g. reproducing a photograph)
- Time in excess of one hour is charged at $44/half hour
- Additional copying is charged at 20 cents per page
The requester can accept the charge, withdraw the request or refine their request. Please note that a deposit can be requested.
The Office of the Ombudsman can be contacted by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.ombudsman.parliament.nz
- Post: PO Box 10152, Wellington 6143
- Phone: 0800 802 602
Need more information?
If you have any questions regarding official information requests use our Contact Us page to get in touch.