Waipa District Plan
The Waipa District Plan is a key document for the district. It contains policy guidance and rules on development and subdivision and also seeks to protect important buildings, landscapes and natural areas.
If you wish to use land in a manner which does not comply with a rule in the District Plan you will need to apply for a resource consent. Resource consents are generally processed by our planning department within 20 working days.
More significant consents, such as those that require limited notification or pubic notification, may take longer to process.
Waipa District ePlan
The Waipā District Plan will soon be available as an interactive e-Plan. A digital, interactive District Plan which enables you to browse the full plan or use the property search to discover site specific information.
The use of internal links throughout the ePlan makes it easy to navigate between sections, view definitions and abbreviations.
The District Planning team have imported more than 19,000 rows of District Plan content, distributing definitions and hyperlinks throughout to create a user friendly experience. We’re currently working through spatial data updates which will be followed by testing, to ensure that everything is accurate and adequate before we go live.
At this stage, all current plan changes will still be found on the Plan Changes webpage until a decision report is finalised. However, future plan changes will be carried out within the ePlan.
Keep an eye on Waipā District Council’s Facebook page and website, as we near completion we’ll let you all know via these channels. We’ll be sure to have plenty of FAQ available here on the Waipa District Plan webpage when we launch and staff will be available to assist post go live also.
Material incorporated by reference
The Operative Waipa District Plan occasionally refers to publications that act as a measure to help applicants comply with rules or provisions in the plan. These publications are known as 'material incorporated by reference'. You can view the publications either at the Te Awamutu or Cambridge Office, or you can request a copy of the material incorporated by reference (with the exception of standards) by calling 0800 924 723.
Council is unable to provide copies of standards (New Zealand and international) due to matters of copyright. These must be obtained directly from the source: http://www.standards.co.nz/default.htm
Waipa District Plan - Snapshot
Our District Plan Snapshot tool is a quick and easy way to find out which rules and policy overlays apply to the property you are interested in. It generates useful information into a report that you can save or print for future reference.
Volume 1 - Waipa District Plan 2016
To help navigate your way through Volume 1, we recommend you download the Table of Contents.
Click here to access the Waipa District Plan Declaration.
Click here to see a list of plan changes to date.
Click here to view Corrigendum #1 issued 12 December 2019
Part C - Strategic Policy Framework
Part D - Zone Provisions
- Part D - Table of Contents
- Section 02 - Residential Zone
- Section 03 - Large Lot Residential Zone
- Section 04 - Rural Zone
- Section 04A – Significant Mineral Extraction Zone
- Section 05 - Reserves Zone
- Section 06 - Commercial Zone
- Section 07 - Industrial Zone
- Section 08 - Lake Karapiro Events Zone
- Section 09 - Mystery Creek Events Zone
- Section 10 - Airport Business Zone
- Section 11 - St Peters School Zone
- Section 12 - Karapiro and Arapuni Power Zone
- Section 13 - Marae Development Zone
- Section 14 - Deferred Zones
Part E - District Wide Provisions
- Part E - Table of Contents
- Section 15 - Infrastructure, Hazards, Development & Subdivision
- Section 16 - Transportation
- Section 17 - Works and Utilities
- Section 18 - Financial Contributions
- Section 19 - Hazardous Substances
- Section 20 - Health and General Amenity
- Section 21 - Assessment Criteria and Information Requirements
Part F - District Wide Natural and Cultural Heritage
Part G - Anticipated Environmental Results
Volume 2 - Appendices
To help navigate your way through Volume 2, we recommend you download the Appendices Table of Contents.
- Appendix DG1 - Character Cluster Statements
- Appendix DG2 - Central Cambridge Character Guidelines
- Appendix DG3 - Central Te Awamutu Character Guidelines
- Appendix DG4 - Central Kihikihi Character Guidelines
- Appendix DG5 - Central Pirongia Character Guidelines
- Appendix DG6 - Central Ohaupo Character Guidelines
- Appendix DG7 - Guidance for Assessments
- Appendix DG8 - Cambridge Park Residential Zone Character
Natural and Cultural Heritage
- Appendix O01 - Vision and Strategy for Waikato River
- Appendix O02 - Maungatautari Ecological Island Lots
- Appendix O03 - List of Reserves for Significant Temporary Events
- Appendix O04 - Public Benefit Lots
- Appendix O05 - Additions to Significant Reserves
- Appendix O06 - Recession Plane Methodology
- Appendix O07 - Hazardous Facilities Screening Procedure
- Appendix O08 - Scheduled Industrial Activities
- Appendix O09 - Height requirements for Hamilton Airport
- Appendix O10 - LDN and SEL Contour Plans - Hamilton Airport
- Appendix O11 - Temporary Events within the St Peters School Zone
- Appendix O12 - Comprehensive Development Plan
- Appendix O13 - Statutory Acknowledgement Areas Ngati Haua
- Appendix O14 - Statutory Acknowledgement Areas NKK and TT
- Appendix O15 - Statutory Acknowledgement Areas Raukawa
Growth Management Structure Plans and Concept Plans
- Appendix S01 - Future Growth Cells
- Appendix S02 - Cambridge North Structure Plan & Design Guidelines
- Appendix S03 - Cambridge Park Structure Plan and Design Guidelines
- Appendix S04 - St Kilda Structure Plan
- Appendix S05 - Hautapu Industrial Structure Plan, Urban Design and Landscape Guidelines
- Appendix S06 - Te Awamutu Large Format Retail Site Plan
- Appendix S07 - Karapiro Large Lot Residential Structure Plan Area
- Appendix S08 - Deleted by way of PC13
- Appendix S09 - Deleted by way of PC13
- Appendix S10 - Airport Business Zone Structure Plan
- Appendix S11 - Picquet Hill Structure Plan
- Appendix S12 - Bond Road North Industrial
- Appendix S13 - Houchens Road Structure Plan
- Appendix S14 - Deleted by way of PC13
- Appendix S15 - Cambridge North Centre Concept Plan
- Appendix S16 - Narrows Concept Plan
- Appendix S17 - Te Awamutu T1 Growth Cell Structure Plan
- Appendix S18 - Leamington Large Lot Residential Zone Structure Plan
- Appendix S19 - Cambridge Structure Plans
- Appendix S20 - Bardowie Industrial Precinct
- Appendix S21 - Ngahinapouri Structure Plan
- Appendix S22 - T8 Structure Plan
- Appendix S23 - Te Awamutu T2 Growth Cell Structure Plan
- Appendix S24 - Te Awamutu T6 Growth Cell Structure Plan
- Appendix S25 - Te Awamutu T11 Growth Cell Structure Plan
- Appendix S26 - Cambridge C4 Growth Cell Structure Plan
- Appendix T1 - Minimum Loading and Unloading Requirements
- Appendix T2 - Level Crossing Sightline Requirements and Diagrams
- Appendix T3 - Road Descriptions and Cross Sections
- Appendix T4 - Criteria for Public and Private Roads
- Appendix T5 - Road Hierarchy
- Appendix T6 - Integrated Transport Assessment
- Appendix T7 - Te Awamutu Dairy Manufacturing Site
- Appendix T8 - Hautapu Dairy Manufacturing Site
- Appendix T9 - Guidelines for Property Design
Volume 3 - Planning Maps
Please note: There may be differences visible between the parcel boundaries in PDF format and paper maps, versus Maps Online and District Plan Snapshot:
- The Waipa District Plan maps in PDF format and the paper version, show parcel boundaries as at the date displayed in the map title area.
- If the Waipa District Plan is viewed via Maps Online or accessed via the District Plan Snapshot the parcel boundaries are updated monthly, and therefore more current.
Click here to access Volume 3 - Planning Maps for the Waipa District Plan.