December 2018 updates
Money rolls in for Cambridge pool
Free bus service to Te Awamutu pool
- Cambridge: Departing at 8.30am and 12.30pm from near the i-SITE at the corner of Queen and Victoria Streets
- Te Awamutu: Departing at 11.30am and 4.30pm from near the i-SITE on Gorst Ave
|10 December||12 December||14 December|
|17 December||19 December||21 December|
|7 January||9 January||11 January|
October 2018 update
Construction contract confirmed
Questions and answers about the project costs
June 2018 update
May 2018 update
Demolition is underway at the Cambridge pool complex. Demolition is expected to take four weeks with major construction planned for the end of June.
Initial development plans
- keeping the outdoor 50m pool (and upgrading the current filtration plant and changing room facilities) as well as
- building a new indoor 25m pool and
- an indoor learner’s pool.
Revision of scope
Previous project updates
Council decision: June 2017
Public consultation: May 2017
Waipa residents and ratepayers were formally asked to have their say on revised plans for the Cambridge pool. Consultation closed on 1 June 2017.
Council decision: April 2017
Following community feedback and massive growth projections for the area, Council confirmed it would formally consider a $16.5 million project instead of the $9.9 million pool redevelopment approved in its 10-Year Plan.
Councillor workshop: December 2016
Stakeholder meeting: November 2016
- Indoor spectator seating requirement- Request for seating for spectators but no determination of what level of capacity required e.g. regular casual use or event mode.
- Deeper water requirement of 25m pool - Water polo and Underwater Hockey perceive their sports suffer through lack of access to an appropriate depth for their sports (min 1.8m).
- Standalone hydrotherapy pool- Based on the immediate need for access for older adults to therapy and rehabilitation and the longer term increase in this age group.
- Facility room- for aquatic sport event delivery must be multi-purpose community/meeting space.
Links to media releases