Applying for Building Consent
COVID-19 Level 4 update
Aotearoa / New Zealand is at Alert Level 4 for the government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All Waipā District Council facilities are closed during this time and our teams are working remotely.
Here’s an overview of what we’re doing for Building Compliance at Alert Level 4 so you can know what to expect for:
- Lodging building consents
- Code compliance certificates
- Building inspections protocols
- All inspections currently booked to take place over the coming weeks will be cancelled. We are not currently taking any new inspection bookings. Customers can rebook inspections once alert levels permit.
- Building inspections are only available for essential services or business construction (medical, ambulance, fire and police works to help combat COVID-19 or urgent 'make safe' work). Please visit the MBIE website for guidance on what is deemed ‘essential works’.
- Please e-mail Building.Admin@waipadc.govt.nz for an essential service or business construction inspection booking as stated above.
- More information on essential services can be found on the covid-19 website.
What happens in Level 4?
- We will send out further information about booking inspections and site inspections once the level change and requirements / restrictions are announced.
Often building work will require approval by Waipa District Council through a building consent. This provides confirmation that the proposed building, plumbing, drainage and safety requirements comply with the building code and Building Act 2004. You can apply for your building consent online:
Not sure whether you need a consent? Check out Build Waikato's Exempt Building Work webpage or give us a call on 0800 WAIPADC (0800 924 723) and speak to one of our Building Compliance staff.
Here's what you need to know:
How does it work?
We use an online system called AlphaOne from a New Zealand-based company that already supplies several other councils. It means you can:
- apply for a building consent anywhere, anytime
- track your consent progress online
- submit further information online
- receive all correspondence digitally - meaning faster and simpler processes!
1. Lodge your application
Start by going to our digital system AlphaOne to lodge your application for a building consent.
Make sure you have handy:
- Proof of ownership
- Sufficient plans
- Specifications and/or manufacturers literature.
Don't forget to complete all sections on your application form. You can save and come back to the customer portal if you've forgotten something you need during the process.
We'll do a quick check to make sure that your application is complete and send you an email once it has been accepted by our vetting team.
Once your application has been vetted, we’ll upload an invoice to your customer portal which you can pay by internet banking or at our offices. Remember, payment may clear before we can issue your consent.
Our Building Compliance team will assess your project against the NZ Building Code to make sure it’s safe and compliant. You can track the status of your consent at any time in your customer portal.
5. We may issue an RFI (Request for Further Information)
If we need any more details to support your application, we’ll be in touch via email. The clock will be paused until we have all of the details from you. You can respond directly through your customer portal!
6. Grant and issue
Make sure your fees are paid to make this a quick and easy process. We’ll send your Building Consent via email and you can download your full approved documentation from your customer portal.
Your required inspections will be listed on your building consent. Give our friendly Customer Support team a call to make a booking 0800 WAIPADC (0800 924 723). You’ll receive an Inspection Report after each site inspection via email and they can all be viewed in your customer portal too!
8. Issue Code Compliance Certificate (CCC)
Once we’ve received and checked all of your required documents including your CCC application form, we’ll be in touch if there are any further fees.
If all building work has passed the final inspection, we can issue your Code Compliance Certificate (CCC).
9. Welcome home!
All sorted. Now you can put your feet up and enjoy your new building work!