How to get a building consent

​​​​Online building consent

Often building work will require approval by Waipa District Council through a building consent. This provides confirmation that the proposed building, plumbing, drainage and safety requirements comply with the building code and Building Act 2004. You can apply for your building consent online.

Do your building consent online

​Not sure whether you need a consent? Check out the Build Waikato - Exempt Building Work webpage. Or give us a call on 0800WAIPADC (0800 924 723) and speak to one of our Building Compliance staff.

Do your building consent online

Waipa District Council has now moved to a new online building consent system. This will make your building process even easier, with no piles of hard copy paperwork required. Here’s what you need to know…

How does it work?

We use an online system called AlphaOne from a New Zealand-based company that already supplies several other councils. It means you can:

  • apply for a building consent anywhere, anytime
  • track your consent progress online
  • submit further information online
  • receive all correspondence digitally – meaning faster and simpler processes! 

How do I apply for a building consent?​

Do your building consent online 

Please login to our customer portal and make your application online. It’s simple to use and we provide you with step-by-step instructions. If you get stuck, give us a call on 0800 WAIPADC (0800 924 723) and speak to one of our Building Compliance staff.

Can I still submit in hard copy?

No, from 18 February 2019 all building consents must be be done online. However if you’re having trouble with our new system, or don’t have access to a computer or internet, give our team a call on 0800 WAIPADC (0800 924 723) and we’ll help you out.

But I've already submitted mine in hard copy!

If you submitted your building consent in hard copy prior to 18 February 2019, you won't need to resubmit this online. Existing hard copy building consents will be treated as they have been previously, until code of compliance is issued for those projects. We're prepared for a few 'legacy' consent processes as we transition to the new online system.

Does this change the way I pay for my consent?

Invoicing for residential projects is now issued as your consent is accepted for processing in the online system. This gives you the chance to pay the consent fees throughout the processing stage and allow Council to issue our consent to you as soon as it is approved, avoiding any delays.

Step by step guide

1. Lodge your application

Start by going to our online AlphaOne system to lodge your application for a building consent.

Make sure you have handy:

  • proof of ownership
  • sufficient plans
  • specifications and/or manufacturers literature.

Don’t forget to complete all sections on your application form! You can save and come back to the customer portal if you've forgotten something you need during the process.

Customer portal login screen:
Customer portal login screen:

Application summary screen - review before you submit:
Application summary screen - review before you submit:

2. Vetting

We’ll do a quick check to make sure that your application is complete and send you an email once it has been accepted by our vetting team.

3. Invoice

Once your application has been vetted, we’ll upload an invoice to your customer portal. You can pay this online or at the counter. Payment must be cleared before your consent can be issued to you.

4. Processing

Our Building Compliance team will assess your project against the NZ Building Code and make sure it is safe and compliant. You can track the status of your consent at any time in your customer portal.

The status tracker in your customer portal:
The status tracker in your customer portal:

5. Possible RFI (further info request)

Sometimes we need a few more details, if this is the case we’ll be in touch via email. The clock will be paused until we have all of the details from you. You can respond directly through your customer portal!

6. Grant and issue

Make sure your fees are paid to make this a quick and easy process. We’ll send your building consent via email with a link to download your approved documentation.

7. Inspections

Your inspections will be listed on your building consent. Give our friendly Customer Support team a call to make a booking: 0800 WAIPADC (0800 924 723). You’ll receive an inspection report after each site inspection via email - they can all be viewed in your customer portal too!

8. Issue CCC

Once we’ve received and checked all of your required documents, we’ll be in touch if there are any further fees, and to book your final inspection.

Once all building work has passed, we can issue your Code Compliance Certificate (CCC).

9. Welcome home!

All sorted. Now you can put your feet up and enjoy your new home/addition!

Frequently asked questions about building consents  

How do I apply for a building consent?

An application for building consent can be completed using our online building consent system. You’ll need to provide information relevant to your project, don’t worry if you forget something throughout your application as you can save it and come back to it later.

How long will it take to obtain building consent?

The time it takes to process a building consent can depend on the complexity of your project and the standard of your application. 

Council is required to process your building consent in no more than 20 working days, however if a formal request for further information is made the days will not be counted until the information is provided to Council. 

Why do I need to provide proof of ownership?

This is a requirement of the Building Act and enables Council to identify the owners of the property. It also confirms the allotment details, including any easements or other legal instruments, which may have an effect on the proposed building work. 

To obtain a Certificate of Title, visit the Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) website, contact your solicitor or see a land agent. 

For developments where title is not yet available, you may submit a Sales and Purchase Agreement with your building consent application. 

Why do I need to provide an estimated value of building work?

The estimated value of work provided on your application is used to calculate the levies due to the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment (MBIE) and Building Research Association New Zealand (BRANZ). 

All building work with an estimated value of work of $20,000 or more incurs a BRANZ levy.  

All building work with an estimated value of work of $20,444 or more incurs a MBIE levy.  

How much will my building consent cost?

Refer to Council’s current Fees & Charges schedule. All relevant fees must be paid prior to your consent being issued. 

How do I check the status of my building consent?

When you submit your building consent online you will be set up with your own unique customer portal. Log into your customer portal to track your consent progress. Your portal allows you to view any further information requests issued and responses received, upload documents, apply for a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) and much more.

If you submitted your building consent in hardcopy or don’t have access to a computer, give us a call on 0800 924 723 and one of our Customer Support staff will be happy to assist you.

How will I be notified of my application outcome?

If your building consent application is approved, providing all fees have been paid the consent will be uploaded to your online customer portal and you will be notified by email. 

All fees must be paid prior to your consent being issued. 

If your building consent application is refused, you will be contacted by our processing team and the reasons for this decision will be explained. 

If you submitted your consent in hardcopy, we’ll give you a call to notify that it’s complete. 

How do I book an inspection?

You can book an inspection by phoning our Customer Support team on 0800 WAIPADC (0800 924 723) . Make sure you have your building consent number handy.

How do I apply for Code Compliance Certificate (CCC)? 

You can apply for CCC within your customer portal.  Make sure you upload all required documents with your application as these will need to be approved prior to your final inspection taking place. 

If you applied for building consent prior to 18 February 2019, your consent will have been issued under Council’s paper based system and is what we call a legacy consent. You will need to fill in a CCC application and submit your completed form and CCC documentation by post, email or deliver it to a Council office. 

You can find the CCC application form on the Build Waikato - Application Forms and Checklists webpage.

Can I begin building before my consent is issued?

No, your consent must be issued before the work can commence.  

Does a building consent expire? 

Your building consent is valid for a period of 12 months from the date of issue, work must have commenced within this time or the consent will lapse and a new application will be required.

The building work should be completed within 2 years from the date that the building consent is granted.

If for any reason your project is delayed, it may be possible to apply for an extension. Give us a call on 0800 WAIPADC (0800 924 723) and speak to our Building Compliance team to discuss further.   

What is Restricted Building Work?

Restricted Building Work (RBW) is design and building work that must be carried out by a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) as it is critical to the integrity of a residential building. 

In the context of RBW, design work is the preparation of drawings, specifications and/or other documents for the purposes of consent. Registered Architects and Chartered Professional Engineers are treated as LBPs licensed in the design class.

What is an Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP)?

Licensed Building Practitioners are designers, builders, roofers, bricklayers, carpenters, external plasterers and foundations specialists who have been assessed as competent to carry out such work. 

The approval and registration of LBPs is maintained by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).You can check if someone is registered on the Public Register.

Page reviewed: 11 Jun 2019 2:54pm