Sainsbury Reserve - Horse Riding
There is growing interest in Sainsbury Reserve and it has become a popular spot for horse riding activities. Here you will find information and guidelines about using the property.
The address of the property is 205 Sainsbury Road, Pirongia, approximately 2 km up Sainsbury Road on the left. There is a number on the gate.
There is ample truck/float parking at the Reserve, a horse wash down area and a flushing toilet in the orchard up from the car park.
You can access the main farm track via the timber gate that is off to the right towards the orchard. It will take you down the hill and onto the farm track network to explore the 100 acre farming block.
The project is in its early stages with planning being done on how to develop the site to enhance the recreational and conservational values of the Reserve.
Guidelines for Use
- If you access Sainsbury Road via the Baffin Street bridge please keep in mind that the bridge has a weight restriction of 12 tonne (the historical bridge is over 100 years old). If your truck is heavier than 12 tonne you will need to head out of Pirongia towards Otorohanga. Make a left turn onto Mangauika Road, across the Mangauika bridge, along O'Shea Road and then left onto Sainsbury Road.
- To the side of the car park, is a historical reservoir which is fenced off. This area is out of bounds as the top of the hill is actually the top of a 100 year old concrete tank.
- There are cows, sheep and horses grazing so please be respectful and shut all gates behind you. The road gate must stay shut at all times and locked again when you leave. The gate code is 19720.
- You are welcome to ride carefully through the cows and sheep (noting the sheep are friendly so they may try to follow you out of paddocks) but please do not enter into the paddocks where horses are grazing.
- You are required to clean up any horse poo that is left in the car park area and due to this being a farmed property - dogs are not permitted on the property.