Game bird hunting permit
Game Bird season
Saturday 1st May is opening day for the 2021 game bird season.
Waipā District Council issues shooting permits for the year’s Game Bird Season. Council issues Shooting Permits pursuant to Section 50(1) of the Reserves Act 1977 and authorises the permit holder to carry a firearm on the following lakes in the Waipā area:
- Lake Ngā Roto Recreation Reserves
- Lake Cameron Recreation Reserves
- Lake Mangakaware Recreation Reserves
- associated Local Purposes Reserves surrounding the above lakes,
- and land that has been vested with Waipā District Council around Lake Ruatuna, Lake Rotomanuka, and Lake Rotopiko (Serpentine: Northern Part) for the purpose of hunting game birds.
Check the Auckland-Waikato hunting regulations for exact dates for each individual game bird species and bag limits.
Waipā District Council issue authorities to carry firearms on land administered by Council. That can include lakes and/or land adjoining those lakes.
Game bird hunting, subject to the hunting rules, is regarded as a traditional use of public wetlands. The primary legislation managing game bird hunting is the Wildlife Act and the Reserves Act.
Game hunters must apply for a Shooting Permit prior to hunting on Waipā reserves and must carry their permit on them at all times while on site and must be produced on demand. The Shooting Permit is issued to the applicant and is personal to the individual, and must not be transferred to any other person.
Shooters need to comply with the Fish & Game New Zealand regulations for the season.
Get a shooting permit
To apply for a permit you will need to supply:
- Full name
- Address and phone number
- Photocopy of your firearms licence
- List of WDC administered reserves you intend to hunt on
- You can apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 WAIPADC (0800 924 723).
Applications for permits must be received by Waipā District Council at least 10 working days prior to the opening of the game bird hunting season.
You can now save time and apply for a game bird hunting permit completely online.
All persons who wish to carry firearms onto a public reserve will be issued with a permit upon application. Hunters must notify the Waipā District Council of their intention to obtain or renew their permit, and this to be done in writing prior to the opening of the game bird hunting season.
To view more information on all hunting permits and conditions please refer to the Auckland/Waikato Fish and Game Council.