Council Controlled Organisations
We are a shareholder in some activities that are defined as Council Controlled Organisations under the Local Government Act 2002.
Waikato Regional Airport Limited
Waikato Regional Airport Limited (Hamilton International Airport) is jointly owned by five local authorities - Waipa District, Hamilton City, Waikato District, Matamata-Piako District and Otorohanga District Councils.
Waipa District Council's Shareholdings is 15.625 percent.
Local Government Funding Agency Limited
The Local Government Funding Agency Limited has been established by the Local Government sector and the Crown to enable local authorities to borrow at lower interest margins than would otherwise be available.
Local Authority Shared Services Limited
The local authorities within the boundaries of the Waikato region have adopted shared services as a mechanism for providing back of office type services in a coordinated manner across the region to leverage opportunities and deliver benefits.
Over the period that Local Authority Shared Services Limited has been operating, the following positive outcomes have been achieved:
- Improved level and quality of service provided through the Shared Valuation Database Service.
- Coordinated approach to the provision of services.
- Reductions in the cost of services.
- Opportunities to develop new initiatives.
- Opportunities for all councils, irrespective of location or size, to benefit from joint initiatives.
- Economies of scale resulting in cost saving, have been achieved in procurement.
The Local Authority Shared Services Limited is jointly owned by 12 local authorities:
- Waipa District Council
- Waikato Regional Council
- Hamilton City Council
- Hauraki District Council
- Matamata-Piako District Council
- Otorohanga District Council
- Rotorua District Council
- South Waikato District Council
- Taupo District Council
- Thames-Coromandel District Council
- Waikato District Council
- Waitomo District Council
Although the following are not classified as Council Controlled Organisations under the LGA 2002, Council also has an interest in:
New Zealand Local Government Insurance Corporation Ltd (trading as Civic Insurance)
The New Zealand Local Government Insurance Corporation is wholly owned by New Zealand city, district and regional councils. It provides a range of products and services to prevent loss and manage risk.
Waipa District Council's shareholding is 1.1 percent.