Council Controlled Organisations
Council controlled organisations
Your council is a shareholder in some activities defined as Council Controlled Organisations under the Local Government Act 2002.
Waikato Regional Airport Limited
Waikato Regional Airport Limited (Hamilton International Airport) is jointly owned by five local authorities – Waipā District, Hamilton City, Waikato District, Matamata-Piako District and Otorohanga District Councils.
Waipā District Council’s Shareholdings is 15.625 percent.
Local Government Funding Agency Limited
The Local Government Funding Agency Limited has been established by the Local Government sector and the Crown to enable local authorities to borrow at lower interest margins than would otherwise be available.
The local authorities within the boundaries of the Waikato region have adopted shared services as a mechanism for providing back of office type services in a coordinated manner across the region to leverage opportunities and deliver benefits. This was previously known as Local Authority Shared Services Limited.
What we have achieved
Over the period that Local Authority Shared Services Limited has been operating, the following positive outcomes have been achieved:
- Improved level and quality of service provided through the Shared Valuation Database Service
- Coordinated approach to the provision of services
- Reductions in the cost of services
- Opportunities to develop new initiatives
- Opportunities for all councils, irrespective of location or size, to benefit from joint initiatives
- Economies of scale resulting in cost saving, have been achieved in procurement
The Local Authority Shared Services Limited is jointly owned by 12 local authorities:
- Waipā District Council
- Waikato Regional Council
- Hamilton City Council
- Hauraki District Council
- Matamata-Piako District Council
- Otorohanga District Council
- Rotorua District Council
- South Waikato District Council
- Taupo District Council
- Thames-Coromandel District Council
- Waikato District Council
- Waitomo District Council