Waipā Youth Awards
The Waipā Youth Awards recognise the outstanding achievements of Waipā youth in academics, arts and culture, community service, leadership and sport. Run annually by the Waipā Youth Council, the Waipā Youth Awards are now in their 18th year. They are open to people aged 14 - 18 years who live in Waipā or have attended school in our district.
Youth Awards 2021 now closed
Download the application form here:
- The nominee must have resided or attended school for at least six months in the Waipā District for the period 1 February 2020 - 31 January 2021.
- Nominees must be between 14 and 18 years of age from 1 February 2020 - 31 January 2021 (inclusive).
- Achievement(s) must have been attained during the period 1 February 2020 - 31 January 2021 (inclusive).
Please check carefully to ensure that all achievements listed in the nomination are within the qualifying period.
- A detailed written application of the nominee’s achievements and successes is required for this period, and must be submitted on the official nomination form. Nomination forms are available from Council offices, district libraries and the Council’s website - www.waipadc.govt.nz.
- Nominees can only be nominated for one of the six individual categories, plus the multi-achiever category if there are strong credentials for nomination in more than one of the individual categories.
- The nominator should have some standing in the field for which the nomination is made. For example, in the Academic category, this should be a teacher or school principal or someone with the appropriate academic status who can confirm the accuracy of the nomination, and in the Sports category this should be a sports teacher, coach, trainer or school principal.
- For sport nominations only - please provide contact details for a key person in the nominee’s sport. This may be necessary for the judges to obtain clarification as there are multiple categories and classes within some sports.
- A high resolution photograph of the nominee participating in their field of achievement is required for the event programme and for presentation purposes. Please email the photograph to email@example.com by 28 May 2021. If you don’t have a photograph of the nominee performing in their field, another profile picture will be acceptable, as long as it’s of a high resolution. If a photograph has not been received by 28 May 2021, a school ID photo will be requested. (Waipā District Council reserves the right to use photos taken at the Waipā Youth Awards as promotional material to promote the Waipā district.)
- Please ensure all sections of the nomination form are fully completed with the required information on the nominee (including their current contact details). Waipā District Council reserves the right to reject any nomination forms if they have not been completed in their entirety.
- Please ensure that both nominee and nominator have signed this form.
- Nominations must be posted or delivered to the Te Awamutu or Cambridge offices of the Waipā District Council, or submitted on-line at www.waipadc.govt.nz/youthawards, no later than 5pm, Friday, 28 May 2021.
- There will be one ‘Excellence’ winner and as many ‘Merit’ and ‘Achiever’ awards for each category as the respective judges determine are deserving.
- A formal Awards Ceremony will be held on Thursday, 26 August 2021 at St Peter’s School, Cambridge.
Please note: Waipā District Council reserves the right to postpone the ceremony if Waipā is in Alert Level 2 or higher.
- Privacy Statement: This information is being collected in order to validate your entry and will be used by the judges considering your nomination. This information may also be used in publicity supporting the Awards. Entry into the Awards assumes permission to use this information in the manner stated.
For outstanding academic excellence.
- Arts and Culture
For outstanding achievement in the cultural field including any aspects of art, music and culture.
- Community Service
For offering care and assistance to the community and whose contribution has been invaluable.
For outstanding contribution towards the protection of the environment.
For outstanding leadership.
For outstanding achievement in sporting abilities.
For outstanding success in more than one of the previous categories.
Check out previous recipients of the Waipā Youth Awards: