Cambridge Corridor Road Works
Over the next two years major road works will be ongoing along Hamilton Road and Cambridge Road to prepare Cambridge for the future developments and growth in Cambridge West. The new developments include new residential homes, Cambridge Ryman Retirement Village, a new primary school, a recreational reserve and playground and supporting underground infrastructure.
To prepare for the infrastructure and ensure the new developments connect with the rest of town in a cohesive way, we’re completing a range of roading upgrades that will see the Hamilton Road Cycleway extended, connect new subdivisions to Cambridge Road, a new 3 metre wide shared walking and cycling path, a signalised pedestrian crossing across Cambridge Road and new bus shelters for our residents and visitors.
A new central road is being constructed running north to south through the new developments and to connect these roads with Cambridge Road, a single lane roundabout will be going in at the intersection. In addition to the roundabout a new dual cycleway and underpass for cyclists and pedestrians will be established.
A diversion road to minimise traffic disruption during construction along Cambridge Road, Cambridge will be in place from 26 June.
The diversion road is part of the future developments in Cambridge West, it will start just past Te Awa Lifecare for approximately 200m and will divert back onto Cambridge Road. It is expected to be in place for 16 months while contractors lay storm water pipes and complete the construction of the new single-lane roundabout.
The new temporary road won’t add any travel time to road users, it will allow for traffic flow and less traffic disruptions than originally planned.
The road works will include:
- A roundabout at the intersection of the Central Collector Road
- Extend the existing Hamilton Road cycleway to link up with the new roundabout, connecting the new subdivisions and Te Awa Life Care Village.
- New roads linking new subdivisions (C2 and C3 growth cells) to Cambridge Road
- New 3 metre wide shared walking and cycling path on the north side of Cambridge Road
- A signalised pedestrian crossing over Cambridge Road
- New bus shelters
- New kerb, channel and stormwater drainage to direct rainfall away from housing developments and roads.
- Underpasses for cyclists and pedestrians under key legs of the roundabout
Other works include:
- Development site for the Cambridge Ryman Retirement Village
- Ministry of Education Cambridge West Primary School site
- Recreation reserve and playground
- Supporting underground infrastructure
- Central Collector Road, running north from the C2/C3 intersection
- North Eastern Collector road, running east/west at the northern end of the site
- Central stormwater swales
- New Terminal Wastewater Pumpstations
- Stormwater reserves