We have 18 community halls / recreation centres across Waipa district that receive funding through rates. The cost of running and maintaining these halls are funded by our rural ratepayers who are located in a hall zone. Of our 7865 rural ratepayers, 4469 fund our halls.
There are a further nine halls across the district that do not receive any funding from Council rates.
We also have three town halls in Cambridge, Pirongia and Kihikihi. These halls are fully funded by urban ratepayers - those of you who live in town. This cost is included on your rates invoice under the Property' activity. We're not proposing to make any changes to how town halls are funded.
Mighty River Domain, Lake Karāpiro
601 Maungatautari Rd, Karāpiro
This space on the shores of Lake Karāpiro is one of New Zealand’s premier event venues. It can host indoor and outdoor events from sporting meets to weddings and conferences. Every year it showcases a variety of sporting and cultural events and has been the stage for a number of memorable international sporting occasions. The site also hosts the Sir Don Rowlands Centre, with its stunning views of Mt Maungatautari and the lake; it is the ideal setting for any event.
The centre is a versatile, multi-purpose complex and features rooms of varying sizes, including the Main Hall, Waipā Room and Karāpiro Room, plus an outdoor deck right on the Lake shore.
Located 6km south of Cambridge in the heart of the Waikato region, the 19 hectare site offers a diverse range of superb facilities to suit your next event.
125 Mystery Creek Rd, Ohaupō
Mystery Creek is New Zealand’s foremost multi-functional events centre, creating and delivering industry-leading and globally-recognised events, including Fieldays (the largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere), and New Zealand’s premiere equine event, Equidays.
At Mystery Creek it’s not just about venue hire but an event experience like no other. Their indoor and outdoor spaces can cater from a 100-person dinner to a 50,000-person festival. The possibilities are endless.
Located 15km outside of Cambridge and situated on 114 hectares on the banks of the Waikato River, this venue can cater to all events.
Cambridge Town Hall
Victoria Street, Cambridge
Opened in 1909, this heritage venue of Edwardian design is an iconic feature of Cambridge.
The Cambridge Town Hall has seen it all over the last century, from Governor Generals and war heroes, to sporting champions and blue-blooded royalty.
From weddings to meetings and even expos – this character venue provides the use of smaller break out spaces in the Edwardian and Victorian wings as well as the grand space of the Main Hall.
These spaces are ideal for small gatherings all the way up to 300-person concerts or 250-person weddings. The use of their commercial kitchen adds great value to hosting an event at the Cambridge Town Hall.
Located in the heart of Cambridge’s main street, Victoria Street, this venue is ideal to capture the attention of the wider community.
Te Awamutu Events Centre
Corner of Mahoe Street and Selwyn Lane, Te Awamutu
Te Awamutu Events Centre, also known as ASB Stadium, is a top class sporting facility which seats up to 800 spectators on its indoor Netball/Basketball courts and can be used for a variety of events or other sporting activities. The space is available for the public to hire between 6am and Midnight, seven days a week.
The complex also has a gym and indoor pools.
Bryce Street, Kihikihi
The Kihikihi Domain is a huge multi-purpose sports reserve that has been developed into New Zealand’s premier venue for international horse trials.
The Domain provides purpose built equestrian arenas for dressage and show-jumping. The cross-country course caters from Training through to CIC Three Star level of competition.
Located 6km from Te Awamutu, this venue is an ideal outdoors facility.
Kihikihi Town Hall
Lyon St, Kihikihi
The Kihikihi Town Hall is an iconic historic building. The hall offers a spacious main room on hardwood floors with separate kitchen facilities and bathrooms.
You can hire the hall for single events or on an ongoing weekly or monthly basis as needed.
Hanlin Road, Cambridge
If you're looking for something unique and inspiring for your next event, then think outside the box and check out the facilities at the Avantidrome.
A world-class facility centred around a purpose built wooden velodrome and host to a range of other facilities, including function rooms and spaces suitable for groups of all sizes, the Avantidrome is the perfect place to host your function whether it is a board meeting or a gala awards dinner.
Get right in the middle of the action with a function held on the Infield - a large space set up close to the majestic cycling track - or hold an intimate event in one of the Avanti Lounges. Whatever you choose, the Avantidrome team will help to give your guests a truly memorable experience.
There are a whole heap of halls available for hire across the district as well.
- Address: 529 Fencourt Road, Cambridge
- Phone number: 07 827 6442
- Address: 39 Hautapu Road, Cambridge
- Phone number:07 827 8074
- Address: 1806 Maungatautari Road, Cambridge
- Phone number: 027 827 2003
Kaipaki Settlers Hall
- Address: 530 Kaipaki Road, Cambridge
- Address: 702 Kairangi Road, Cambridge
- Phone number: 07 827 1938
- Address: 739 State Highway 1, Karāpiro , Cambridge
- Address: 126 Koromatua Road,
- Phone number: 07 847 6191
- Address: 411 Pirongia Road, Pirongia
- Phone number: 07 870 2236
- Address: 1115 Maungatautari Road, Cambridge
- Phone number: 07 827 6736
- Address: Cambridge / Te Awamutu Road, Cambridge
- Address: 1189 Kakaramea Road, Ohaupō
- Phone number: 07 825 2614
- Address: 98 Great South Road, Ohaupō
- Phone number: 07 823 8180
Pirongia War Memorial Hall
- Address: 997 Franklin St, Pirongia
- Contact: Nin Duggan
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone number: 021 124 8252
- COVID-19 Protection Framework - Rules for use of Kihikihi Town Hall and Pirongia War Memorial Hall
- Address: 966 Arapuni Road, Te Awamutu
- Address: 1322 Paterangi Road, Te Awamutu
- Phone number: 07 871 9954
- Address: 764 Pokuru Road, Te Awamutu
- Phone number: 027 457 1547
- Address: 581 Puahue Road, Te Awamutu
- Phone number: 07 872 1922
- Address: 2112 Arapuni Road, Pukeatua
- Phone number: 07 872 4808
- Address: 108 Rangiaowhia Road, Te Awamutu
- Phone number: 07 871 5979
- Address: 6 Kairangi Road, Cambridge
- Phone number: 07 827 1878 - Attention Camel Howarth
Te Miro Settlers
- Address: 447 Te Miro Road, Cambridge
- Phone number: 07 827 9212
- Address: 2226 Te Rahu Road, Te Awamutu
- Phone number: 07 871 5541
- Address: 5 Allcock Road, Te Awamutu
- Phone number: 07 871 9859
- Address: 1432 Owairaka Valley Road, Te Awamutu
- Phone number: 07 872 2843
- Address: Brunskill Road, Cambridge
- Phone number: 07 827 6861